The term Enterprise is often associated to several similar meanings.
An enterprise can be a business, an organization, a company, and in general an outcome of entrepreneurship, i.e - assumption of initiative and risk by a person or a group.
Whether an organization or business can be described as an enterprise can usually be decided by the following indications:
- Whether the business strategy is based around the results of various parts of the business - working as a team.
- Whether or not the various business members identify themselves as the various units rather than the whole company.
- Whether the business operates out of a common set of financial resources.
- Whether the organization caters a variety of customers and success does not necessary require the customer to buy services from different parts of the business.
- Whether the organization shares a common set of information and a joined database of metrics and data.
- Whether there is a similar set of rules that goes throughout the company.